Lakeland Inter-American School a co-educational international school located in Ratmalana, a suburb of Colombo city is a long term ardent desire of its Foundress Mrs. Kushala Kumari Sinnarajah. Her guidance, vision and endurance enabled her to develop the school to the level it is now.
Moreover, the Board of Directors headed by the Chairman Mr. S. S. Nathan has also contributed his share to develop the school to its present status. The primary vision is to provide education with a difference to prepare the ground work for the intellectual and physical development of students in a safe, caring and a positive atmosphere.
The development and dissemination of knowledge has been given equal opportunities at the Lakeland Inter-American School setting the way forward in achieving the visionary goal of every discerning student.
Special features incorporated in the educational program of work carried out currently in the school are listed below.
- The British National Curriculum is done from Pre Grade I to A-Level.
- Montessori Method of education is incorporated with the Primary Method by doing hand work and crafts in the class.
- Classes from Montessori to A- Levels (including a day-care facility for the Montessori children beginning from September, 2011)
- Trained and qualified staff.
- Individual attention to the student with each class not exceeding 25 students.
- Extra Curricular activities.
- Sports, Badminton, Cricket, Swimming, Basket Ball, Table Tennis, Carrom, Karate, etc.
- Club activities - Social services, Science, English and Literary societies
- Transportation facilities are provided at a nominal fee to the students' with a care taker from the school staff.
- Comfortable classrooms which are well equipped to teach lessons in an interactive environment.
- Well equipped Computer lab, Science labs and Music room.
- Library facilities with a large collection of books covering different fields and subjects.
- Reading being given the focus with the Oxford Reading methods using the Oxford Reading Tree.
- SATs Papers (Standard Assessment Test) done at the end of each Key Stage.
- This gives the school and parents' a rating of the student's level and the school in comparison to the schools and students' in UK.
- QCA (Qualification and Curriculum Authority of England) standards been met with reference to the requirements expected from each Grade.
The academic and other activities in the school received a sudden impetus with the assumption of duties of Mr. Sirisena Wijendra as the School Principal. He is a graduate with a Trained Teachers' Certificate possessing other exceptional professional qualifications to his credit. He has undergone professional training under World Bank Educational Programmes held in India and Israel in the years 2000 & 2003 respectively. In addition to the 27 years of experience he has acquired in the field of education in Sri Lanka and abroad, he has had the rare privilege of representing the Sri Lankan Schools' Principals' at the SAARC Educationists' Workshop on "Imparting Quality Education", in 2002.
Mr.Sirisena Wijendra, the current Principal of Lakeland Inter-American School, is a dedicated educationist with a high degree of professional experience which only a few can surpass. His vision to transfer the school to suit the modern trends in primary and secondary education is highly appreciated by the Board of Directors. Mr. Sirisena Wijendra is a prominent educationist who completed teaching assignments successfully in countries such as Pakistan and Bangladesh with utmost satisfaction. His knowledge and key strength in Child Psychology has benefited the school at all times. Now there is a rapid improvement of the student strength with the dedication and teamwork of his staff.