A farmer who applied for an electricity connection under the Uthuru Wasanthaya programme has called for a probe after the authorities in his area failed to provide him a connection despite sending in his application as far back as March.
Vishvanathan Kathiravelu (70) told the Sunday Times that he sent his application as far back as March, but authorities claimed that his application had been misplaced and re-sent a fresh application to him in June.
He said that after he sent in his application officials has promised him that he will be given the connection within a few weeks, but he had not been given a connection yet to his residence located at Karadikooppu in Kilinochchi.
The farmer has now lodged a complaint with the Police and called on CEB officials to investigate the matter. Kilinochchi CEB Electrical Superintendent T. Gugaraj told the Sunday Times that there is a long list of applicants and therefore his connection had been delayed.
He said that after November the CEB may be able to give the connection.
However senior government officials in the area said free power connections under the Uthuru Wasanthaya programme has been brought to an end by September.Mr. Kathiravelu claimed that officials were now demanding money from him to provide the power supply, despite making his application as far back as March 2011.