A senior Army officer this week almost completed recording “summary of evidence,” a prelude to a General Court Martial against retired General Sarath Fonseka, despite him boycotting the proceedings.
They are held in the Officer’s Mess (Ward Room) of Navy Headquarters.
A loudspeaker was placed in the annexe where Gen. (retd.) Fonseka is staying so he may hear witnesses testify. The one time war hero has refused to turn up at the Navy Officer’s Mess (Ward Room) near his annexe. The “summary of evidence is being recorded” at the Ward Room.
He has declared to his wife Anoma, who visits him, that he is not following the proceedings since he is a civilian now.
The former Army Commander’s attorney, President’s Counsel Wijedasa Rajapaksa, told the Sunday Times that his client had taken up the position that he is not covered by military law. “I can confirm that General Fonseka is not taking part in the process of recording the summary of evidence at the Navy Officer’s Mess,” he said.
“There has been misinformation in sections of the media that Gen. (retd.) Fonseka took part in these proceedings but refused to ask questions from the witnesses. That is completely wrong and misleading. He has played no role at all,” he added.
Besides his wife, Anoma, Mr. Wijedasa, is the only person allowed to visit Gen. (retd.) Fonseka, who is now being held in Army custody at an annexe at Navy Headquarters. Mr. Rajapaksa has had regular meetings with the retired General since his arrest.
The Sunday Times reported exclusively in the front-page lead story last week that Gen. (retd.) Fonseka refused to appear before a senior Army officer tasked to record “summary of evidence” – the prelude to a Court Martial – claiming he was now a civilian. He was summoned on February 12 to appear before Major General Daya Ratnayake, Chief of Staff of the Army, who is compiling the “summary of evidence”.