Former Major General Janaka Perera, the UNP nominee for the Chief Ministerial post for the North Central Province warned the Government would be held responsible if some harm came to him during the election campaign.
Speaking to the media, he said that although he had requested security from the Government, his requests had been ignored and he could become a possible target of many groups.
“I asked for security from the Elections Commissioner, the IGP and the UNP General Secretary. However, I have not got at least one security personnel whereas the former chief minister is still having 30 from the STF, 28 from the police and 12 home guards,” he said.
He said he feared his life was under threat after he heard that groups of Government supporters were planning to harm him. He said he recalled that on July 3, an ASP and four police officers of the Kirulapone police had informed him that his life would be at risk as he is also a target of the LTTE.