Working in UK after graduation - Part 1

If you wish to stay in UK to work after graduation you will need to ensure you have an appropriate work visa. Finding an employer to sponsor a work visa on your behalf can be difficult but you could also consider applying for one of the fixed term work visas under the new points-based immigration system instead.

Work permits

  • The 2-year Post-study Work Visa (Tier 1)
  • The Highly Skilled Visa (Tier 1 General)
  • Employer sponsored work visas (Tier 2)
  • Other visas

The Post-study work visa

The Post-study work visa allows international students completing a UK degree qualification to apply to stay and work in UK for 2 years on successful completion of their course.
With this visa you can apply for and take any job in UK, without having to work for an employer with a sponsor licence. You are responsible for making this immigration application, not the employer.
This option is not open to those with postgraduate diplomas or certificates, with the exception of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

Points to note

  • You will need to wait until you have your exam results and have been awarded your degree before applying for Post Study Work.
  • Permission under Tier 1 (PSW) does not count towards the 5 year qualifying period for settlement in UK.
  • Many applications are rejected owing to incomplete information sent, not filling out the form correctly, or not meeting the requirements of the Immigration Rules. Ensure you have enough funds now to meet the 10 points for the maintenance element of the visa - £800 AT ALL TIMES for 3 months prior to the date of an immigration application.
  • Do not assume that employers are familiar with this type of immigration permission or the options afterwards.
  • Postgraduates may not be able to apply for this visa in time for a graduate position starting in September. However, it is possible to work legally on a fixed term or part-time contract until your student visa expires.

Longer term
During or after the 2 year period you must take one of these 3 options:

  • You may have accrued sufficient points to qualify for Tier 1 (General) permission
  • If you have worked for a company for 6 months with Tier 1 (PSW) permission, the employer can issue a Certificate of Sponsorship under Tier 2 (General) using the Switching option.
  • You can apply for another post with an employer (with a licence) who will sponsor you under Tier 2.

Getting help
It is vital to seek all available help when making visa applications as each application costs time and money. You are also advised to clarify when the 12 months to apply period begins.
The UK Border Agency website has the official guidance notes:

Common questions

  • Which employers will employ people under the Post-study Work Visa (PSW)?

There is no restriction upon the type of employment or employer that you can apply for under PSW. It can include fixed contract work, permanent positions or agency work.

However, some prospective employers may not have heard about PSW. You may wish to explain to them about PSW and that you can work for 2 years under the programme, in your covering letter.

Employers advertising graduate training programmes, who are looking to train and develop you for a number of years, may be reluctant to accept applicants who are on the PSW scheme. This is because the scheme is only for 2 years and they are looking at long term hiring.

However, some employers may be willing to sponsor a work visa application for you to stay in this role during your visa, in order to continue employing you legally in UK afterwards. The employer will still have to advertise the job and provide details of how they selected you against other UK or EEA applicants.
Alternatively, you could consider your eligibility to apply for the Highly Skilled (Tier 1 General) visa.

You are strongly encouraged to seek advice if you think this applies to you to ensure you plan ahead to ensure your visas do not expire and you are not in the country illegally. Visa applications can take time.

Do visit us at 5/6, Railway Ave, Nugegoda or contact us on 077 3424385 / 011 281 2283 for further queries.

Top to the page  |  E-mail  |  views[1]
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Other Education Articles
A bright star shone on Amal International School
Fortune Investment offers a fortune for SL students
Former Royal teachers to join ‘Royal Parade - 2010’
Programme to make Nalanda College the most beautiful school in the island
Why Swinburne, Melbourne?
GEYEF: Earn a Commonwealth state university degree in India
NCUK: Your guaranteed pathway to top UK universities
Start your University Degree after O/Levels
Mercury - moving from
Begin your perfect foundation at Imperial College
ICASL Scholarships aim at fortifying student potential
Trinity’s Sarith Bandara is SPELLMASTER!
Haren Fernando emerges as Lanka's top Quiz player
Want to create video games?
Study in UK, work in UK?
Working in UK after graduation - Part 1
Marga Institute launches CLPD programme
Cambridge Ruskin International College
Study in Australia, New Zealand and UK
AOD establishes prestigious Northumbria University degree in South Asia
APIIT Law School: Unique, modern and vibrant
Growing demand for ACBT's Australian degrees
‘Aspirations 2010 - International Education Exhibition’
Pathway to qualify in Tourism and Hotel Management
Fast track your career with UTS: INSEARCH


Reproduction of articles permitted when used without any alterations to contents and a link to the source page.
© Copyright 2010 | Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.Colombo. Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.| Site best viewed in IE ver 6.0 @ 1024 x 768 resolution