International students have always been an important presence in the UK, and the numbers have been growing steadily. The top ten countries sending students for study in UK colleges and universities are:
- China 50,755
- India 19,205
- Greece 17,675
- Republic of Ireland 16,790
- USA 14,755
- Germany 13,265
- France 12,455
- Malaysia 11,450
- Nigeria 9,605
- Hong Kong 9,445
* Stats for 2009-2010 not included
Students get a world class
- Students get the skills needed for the modern environment with updated skills and technical knowledge.
- UK is the only country with 1 year of quality education, which is one of the oldest education systems worldwide.
- It has an exciting and fun culture which meets all educational needs.
- Postgraduate study (Taught Modules) can be completed in one year.
- It's an affordable option compared to USA/Australia.
- Lenient and Easy procedures for applying visa.
- Students can work part time while studying (20 hrs legally allowed - foundation degree and upwards and 10 hrs for diploma students).
- Students can extend their visas for 2 years on completion of the course under the Post Study Work Visa. The Post-study Work visa allows all international students completing a UK degree qualification to apply for a visa to stay on and look for work in the UK up to 2 years.
UK qualifications are recognized and respected throughout the world. Study in UK will be a solid foundation for building your future, boosting career and prospects for a higher salary.
UK universities, colleges and schools will provide a vibrant, creative and challenging environment in which to develop your potential. Quality standard for UK institutions is among the best in the world.
A large portion of study time will be spent in supervised laboratory work and practical projects, designed to develop necessary technical skills.
Students will get the skills they need for the modern environment
In an increasingly globalised world economy, people need special skills and qualities to succeed. Employers want employees who can think effectively, creatively and independently. Institutions in UK use a variety of teaching and assessment methods to encourage independence, as well as mastery of the subject.
It's an affordable option
UK degrees can take only three years and postgraduate courses only one year- compared to four and two years in most other countries because they are more intensive. This means you will save a great deal on both tuition fees and living costs- and you will be able to start working and earning money sooner. Health care is often free for international students.
UK institutions offer thousands of scholarships and bursaries just for international students, while more than 21,000 international students receive scholarship funding from UK Government every year.
Students get a warm welcome
Many institutions arrange for you to be collected from the airport and offer guaranteed accommodation for your first year. They will provide a dedicated international office, international student societies, planned social activities, academic support, counsellors and advisers. UK has one of the lowest 'drop-out' rates (the number of students who leave before the course ends) in the world.
Part-time and full-time employment
International students studying in UK can look for part time jobs inside and outside the University Campus and are no longer required to obtain permission while studying a full time course.
There are many opportunities for the international students to earn their living expenses in UK, both during and after their studies. They can work full time during the vacation period. Full time jobs can be done after the completion of the course under the post study work visa of 2 years with legal permit in a student visa itself.
With this visa, you do not need an employer to sponsor a work visa for you. With this visa you can take any form of employment. Time spent on this visa does not count towards the 5 years working in UK required for permanent residency.
Success in realizing your career dreams to a large extent depends on your own attitude which includes your sincerity and strong will to vigorously pursue your goal. It's your determination to fulfil the requirements that are needed to enable you to achieve your goal. It means you have to acquire the required academic qualification followed by professional qualification and training in your particular field. Once you have these, you will be able to compete.
Do visit us at 5/6, Railway Ave, Nugegoda or http://www.overseasstudentcentre.org for further queries.