Beware of this toxic detergentView(s):
Beware of a “suspect” detergent which if accidentally ingested can cause serious harm including death, warned a toxicologist yesterday.
With a spate of such ingestions of this detergent or cleansing substance reported from the Southern Province, Dr. Waruna Gunathilake, Department Head of Toxicology and the National Hospital’s Poisons Information Centre said that the authorities are checking whether this locally-made product is a banned item.
Urging the public to check the details on the sachets carefully, Dr. Gunathilake stresses that if they do not contain the name, address and contact information of the manufacturer, it would be better not to buy them. “Avoid buying it,” he said, requesting traders not to sell it as well.
Recalling that similar ingestions most probably from the same detergent had been reported in 2007-2008 which had caused death and harm due to the strong corrosive chemicals in it, Dr. Gunathilake said the Poisons Information Centre is working with the relevant authorities to check its authenticity and contents.
comments powered by Disqus