There was a news report recently that there would be no ‘on the spot’ fines for speeding offences and visits to the Courts would be mandatory.
This is well and good. The following may however be borne in mind.
1. The speed limits improved recently are completely unrealistic.
2. Sign posting of such limits are unsatisfactory and haphazard.
3. How accurate are the hand-held devices which the police thrust in the faces of allegedly errant motorists?
4. No modern motor car could conceivably be expected to travel at the speeds set by the authorities. Even three wheelers would not be able to adhere to these limits. Bicycles need to be the means of conveyance.
6. There are other contributory factors for accidents, which are apparent to any road user now and which I need hardly elaborate on.