Rugby shock as Wesley rattle Trinity 21-0

Police in full cry as they tackle an Army player at Galle Face. Pic. by Ishara
S. Kodikara


Silva helps Army manacle Police
Seventeen points come off his kicking boots
By Bernie Wijesekera
In a bruising forwards battle between two unbeaten teams in the Caltex League A Division tournament, Sri Lanka Army edged out Police SC by 22 points (1 goal, 5 penalties) to 17 (5 penalties) thanks to full back T.A. Silva, who scored 17 points from his kicking boots at Galle Face yesterday. At the turn around the soldiers led 16-9.
Played in ideal weather conditions underfoot the respective forwards fought a relentless battle in the loose.

The blue shirts really played well by winning much of the good ball. But they tended to run into the man rather than find gaps and lost many scoring opportunities. As a result the Army lost their rhythm and were rattled. They too lapsed not moving the ball and were constantly blown for infringements.

For the first time in the history of Army rugby, three outstanding schoolboys - Thomian skipper Jeevan Gunatilleke (flanker), Isipatana captain Ranga Perera and Peterite No 8. Sanjay Pullendran made their debut for the soldiers.

The Police really put the soldiers in the pressure cooker with some second phase attacks, but their defence stood firm thanks to diminutive T.A. Silva who played an intelligent game. His positional play and deceptive deep kicks to touch proved a winning factor. He slotted five spot kicks from varying angles and converted their solitary try scored by No 8. Dharmapala off a fine three-quarter move.

For the Police fly-half Harshana Wijeweera, too was in fine form with his spot kicks. Out of the five spot kicks he arrowed four with precision. Army scored first in the fifth minute with a spot kick. In the ninth minute the best try in the match was scored. Off a sweeping move the centres cut in, like a hot knife in a butter dish, for Dharmapala to put the finishing touches. At the break it was 10-6.

After the interval Police kept on pressing for nine minutes in the Army '25', when they won four penalties in-a-row with the line staring at them. Attempting to go on the first phase, they found the granite hard Army defence hard to beat. Eventually they took a spot kick and Wijeweera obliged. Police full back Rodrigo Ajantha Rodrigo tended to be too slow. He was moved to the line. Chintaka Perera came in as a replacement and stood up well both in defence and attack. He constantly formed the overlap.

During the dying stages of the game Police got their act together. Off a penalty in front, they took a short tap and prop Anura Fernando bull-dozed his way over the line for an unconverted try to lose the tie at 11-7. Army were distinctly lucky to win as the Police back division constantly tended to go 'solo', instead of moving the ball around.
Referee Dilroy Fernando.

CH in easy win over Air Force
CH and FC recorded their fourth consecutive win when they thrashed the hapless Air Force rugby team by 58 points (four goals, six tries) to 3 (one penalty) in the Caltex 'A' Division Inter Club rugby match played at Maitland Place yesterday. CH led 29-0 at half time.

The try scorers for the winners were winger Ajantha Upawansa (3), full back Nalin Dissanayake (2), flanker Bertie Jayasekera (2) and centre Lasantha Ediriweera, flanker Ranjan Canagasabai and prop Naren Perera one each. Nalin Dissanaya converted four of these tries. Full back Ranjith Anthony put over the penalty for the losers. Referee: Aruna Jayasekera-MSA

Kandy win 43-nil
Kandy Sports Club were contained to a mere 43 points (5 goals, 1 try, 1 penalty) to nil win over home town rivals Kandy Youth SC in their Caltex A Division rugby match at Nittawela yesterday.

Radhika Hettiarachchi bull-dozed his way through to score twice as did skipper Basnayake. Sameera de Silva and Bogahawatte were the other try scorers. Weerakkody had a good game putting over all his conversions, save for one.

The Youth deserve credit for having limited their powerful opponents to just two scoring efforts in the second half. Had full back Niyandagala putover the penalties that came his way, the final score-line would have been more flattering. Fly half Ibrahim handled the wet ball very well but his play in the all-important position was a little predictable.
Referee D. Nimal (A.K)

Rugby shock as Wesley rattle Trinity 21-0
The Colombo school records first ever win over the Kandy side
By M.Shamil Amit

Police in full cry as they tackle an Army player at Galle Face. Pic. by Ishara S. Kodikara

Wesley led by that burly No. 8 and Sri Lanka youth player Lahiru Boteju created history when they outclassed the Trinity Lions for the first time ever in the history of rugby encounters between the two schools which has been played for over a half century.

They completely rattled the Trinitians when they scored a convincing 21 points (three goals) to nil victory in the inter-school rugby match at Longdon Place. Having led 14-0 at half time.

It was rugby of a high order with the Wesleyites treating the massive crowd that thronged to witness the game with some superlative rugby. They got into business in the first five minutes of play in the first half when winger Nawshik Fareez ran over for a try from a move initiated by second row Chatura Weligamage. Full back Zakir Badurdeen put the finishing touches to give Wesley an early 7-0 lead. The Wesleyites were far more superior in all departments winning the line outs and their working down the line had the Trinitians in a spot of bother.

Centre Ziyard Thahir and Steve Perera another Sri Lankan youth player had their opponents guessing with their robust play and kicks to touch. In the dying stages of the first half Ziyard Thahir increased the lead with a superb try scored from a five yard scrum which was again converted by Zakir Badurdeen to make it 14-0.

Resuming in the second half the Trinitians penetrated their opponents' territory but only to be denied scoring by the solid defence of the Wesleyites. The Trinitians missed two opportunities of reducing the lead when second row Silva fluffed two penalties which was of kicking distance. In the 23rd minute Wesley was offered a 40 metre penalty and Zakir's kick went astray.

With no quarters asked or given the game was being played at a terrific pace with referee Orville Fernando doing a tireless job with the whistle. Wesley succeeded in increasing their lead when in the 25 metre line of their opponents' skipper Lahiru Boteju intercepting a pass gave it over to second row Tyronne Harrison who barged through many defenders to score under the post. Zakir made no mistake with his kick this time to give Wesley a healthy 21-0 lead. The Lions were dejected and gave up hopes of giving a fight back ultimately being tamed down.

Zahira down Nalanda
Zahira registered their third consecutive win in the on going inter schools rugby season when they beat Nalanda by 12 points (one goal, one try) to 5 (one try) in their inter school rugby encounter played at the Thurstan grounds yesterday. At the breather the score was 7-5 in favour of the winners.

Zahira opened scoring in the first half through a try by number eight Hassen Azar which was converted by skipper Imran Marso. Nalanda replied with a try scored by prop forward Akila with the conversion going astray.

Nalanda coming out for the first time this season gave a good account of themselves giving the Zahirians some anxious moments. In the dying stages of the game Hassen Azar scored his second try of the match with the kick at goal being missed. When the long whistle was blown by referee Pradeep Fernando the score remained 12-5 in favour of Zahira.-MSA

Back to Top
 Back to Index  

Copyright © 2001 Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved.