Aney is it true? with nam
The witch hunt
* A lot is being said and done about leg spinner Malinga Bandara. First he is taken as a tourist to India for the champion’s trophy. Then he is sent to the West Indies with a view of getting the much needed match practice as they say only one spinner will be sufficient in New Zeaand. In the latest twist to Malinga’s woes who is supposed to be the next best to Muralitharan is dropped from the Sri Lanka ‘A’ team and Kaushal Lokuarachchi is played. What went wrong? Who wants Bandara out of his way? Mmmmmmmm…..can you guess who it is?
Hey! Ya …. Listen…..
it’s happening at last
* They say a few heads are to roll in the near future and a few good old faces are to make a come back. First is a name from Moratuwa who is supposed make way for a name that hails from Kalutara called “Rattran”. Though it is sports it is in the Political arena. Then there are two other veterans – a former President who brought glory to our tiny nation and a very knowledgeable former opening batsman to don pads for the Maitland Place team.
On the mat
* Some officials in the Sports Ministry have fallen out of favour with the Sports Minister owing to their inability to complete their yearly projects and the treasury has recalled the finances allocated for those projects.
* The former off spinner who winds like the Mahaveli river has now turned the wheel of fortune. A while ago he has made a deal with the then cricket authorities and purchased thousands of low quality balls and made a commission of over three American dollars per ball. Now the authorities who are stuck with them are considering disposing 6000 of them among the premier league cricket clubs to be used at practices.
“Hora” - Police
*The CID is to quiz four officials of a former regime belonging to a coastal cricket association, on the embezzlement of over 12 million rupees allocated for the development of the game in the area.
* Two female sprinters who belong to the flying force had a spat at the Sports Ministry grounds. The result was that one of the athletes brining some hired male thugs to assault the other. This is what our athletics have now come to!