CH walk off the field match awarded to Kandy
By Aubrey Kuruppu
The promised acrimonious battle between CH and Kandy SC at Nittawela last evening certainly lived up to its name. Kandy won by 29 points (2 goals, 3 tries) to 17 (1 goal, 2 tries) but it was a superbly fought out match between two teams that neither asked for nor gave any quarter.

Events boiled over about ten minutes from time when Pulikuttuarachchi scored a try off a superb breakaway move in which Laga and Jayasinghe played their part. This try incidentally went unconverted because of the chaos that ensued. CH hotly disputed the try and one of the players was seen elbowing the referee. At this point, some small stones were lobbed into the playing area and this acted as a spur to the CH team who promptly walked off the field. Match Commissioner Viper Guneratne was told that they will not be continuing and the match ended in confusion.This prompted the Commissioner to award the gameto the home team.

Kandy scored early when Faatzvva's missed penalty kick was collected by Kapila Silva who touched down with the CH defence thinking. CH replied at once when off the kick-off the ball came their way and a CH player broke through. Bolakoro finally went over with a few Kandy players clinging on. Jayakody fluffed the simplest of conversions (5-5).

A drop kick by Mallikarachchi took play deep into CH territory. Kandy set up Jayasinghe to effect the finishing touches with a fine turn of speed. This try too went unconverted. Laga then forced his way through off a short tap and Faatavo converted to make the score 17-5 at lemons in favour of Kandy.

CH started the second half with more vigour and their efforts found instant reward when Rakata breezed through ten yards to score after CH had put Kandy under relenting pressure. Jayakody made it 17-12.

Malikarachchi then dummied his way to touch down from ten yards out Faatavu's conversion made it 24-12. Butter fingered CH saw some stirring rugby by their players go unrewarded as Bolakoro and Wijesinghe dropped passes when CH was in two very promising situations.

The CH pack deftly out manouevered their opponents and number eight Leuke went over. This made the score 24-17. This was followed by the try for Kandy by Pulikuttuarachchi which ended in chaos. Referee Aruna Rankorthge.


Copyright © 2001 Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved.