10th December 2000
Fit in with Estefan" For heaven's sake look in the mirror carefully before you decide to wear anything!" says designer Andre Estefan, talking about what's in and out for guys...
* The blank colours of the millennium are now making way for brighter colours. So for guys, the earthy but light shades are in, along with biscuitish shades, and specially the matt black is in. But, colourwise, personal taste matters a lot.
* It's the showman look which is in for guys, with glitter clothing and a bolder look.
* The body-conscious look is very "in" now. Clothes that concentrate on body contour shapes and are fitting, like straight, fitted pants are trendy. Baggy is out, sarongs went out ages ago: they have been done to death.* Jewellery for guys are also very 'in' at the moment. But they are very strong jewellery, such as made of thick silver, bone jewellery etc. Actually, the type of jewellery to give off the Red-Indian-like look is trendy now.
* A lot of synthetic fabrics are around, like strong taffeta, and reflector fabrics.
*Jackets are certainly out: it's highly ridiculous in tropical weather like ours.
* Designer clothes are fine but sometimes they are impractical in our kind of climate.
* Whatever you wear just be comfortable and make sure you don't look
like a stuffed duck. What you wear depends on your personal preferences,
but immaterial of this, you mustn't, (heavily underlined) fit into anything
that doesn't suit you, though it may be the most 'in' thing for the season!
In a mix and match man's wardrobe what's in?
* Simplicity is the trend.
* Pastel coloured long sleeved shirts for the evening in pure silk or raw silk.
* Shirts in synthetic fabrics in shades of silver.
* Shirts in earthy tones in cotton fabrics for the morning.
* Body fitting clothes. (For a perfect body of course)
* Suits with simple cuts.
* Suede shoes with thick soles (Doc Martens)
* Patent leather shoes for the evening.
* Silver jewellery (A lot to do with the personality)
* French beards (get advice from a salon on suitability)
What's on its way out?
* The ethnic look
* Chinese collared shirts.
* Evening shirts in blacks and grays.
* Polo necks.
* Booty type of shoes with suits.
N.B. - It's important not to be a slave to fashion and blindly
ape what's been termed fashionable. You must be able to carry off whatever
* Glamour is in but not the fussy, trashy stuff. The look to retain
is the classic look.
* Perms are making a comeback. Straightening is on its way out.
* Natural wave and natural curl are in.
* For those with short hair (both guys and girls) spikes are the trend.
* Highlights in blonde, red and copper for guys and girls.
* Long hair worn loose for the young. (Long as in below the shoulders, the most being upto the waist)
* Evening make-up includes lots of glitter.
* Thin arching eyebrows and eye shadow in golds and silver.
* Glossy lips. Red lipstick is the 'in' colour.
* Important beauty rule - do not overdo. If your going heavy on the eyes - , play down the lips and blusher and vice versa.
* Don't be afraid to experiment and be adventurous. Don't be bothered about what others will think: try out what you want to and if it looks good go ahead with it."
Mirror Magazine, C/o The Sunday Times
No. 8 Hunupitiya Cross Road, Colombo 2.
Thanks for a great opportunity to write and simply give our opinions and ideas - I'm writing regarding the note that appeared as " The Most Precious Honeymoon Gift"
As much as I respected the opinion of " Paper Clip" I must say, mine is quite different. Today's opinion about certain issues have indeed changed a lot. while I certainly admire certain individuals for respecting certain values we were brought up with , I do have to say that there are two sides to everything . Why must one think that to the two people who have " done it' before the honeymoon there would be a difference on the actual wedding night. Certainly I hate it when people who are aimless enough to " do it" as and when the "need arises" take it for granted. But what about making love . The need for two individuals to feel one in not only mind and soul, but in body as well? The greatest gift I ever gave my loved one was nothing but my love. Myself, my heart, my mind, my soul and my body. The date never altered any of this. Believe me after three years of marriage, we still feel the essence, the spirit of that day. The date never mattered and should not matter what matters is the ingredient called love. That, of course, is another story altogether !!.
"The Grass is greener on the other side"
I recall some wonderful memories with my family and friends and some sad ones as well. I'm only seventeen, and already I think I've gone through quite a lot of problems for someone my age. But then again, everyone thinks the same. I look back and I think I've been a good child, a good friend, have done quite enough good turns as well, but it does not satisfy me. I find something missing in my life like one piece in a jigsaw puzzle, which just cannot be found. I think again, trying to figure it out and finally I slowly begin to realize what it is. I might have been a good person, but in this whole past year I never did do anything to change this world for the better. I just realized that being a good person just was not enough. In this world where peace is unheard of I did not play my part and because of that my year is not fulfilled enough.
There were a hundred chances that came my way, but I guess I was too involved with my own self, being good enough was enough and as long as the world problems didn't come and knock at my door I was quite content. In a way I gave into selfishness. You see my parents were not dying in the war; I was not on the road begging for money and eating from the garbage. . . I was snug and quite satisfied with the way my life was. Going to church in a normal routine, listening to the word of God, but still not sharing with the problems of the world. I had my own selfish problems. It does not matter if you're old or young, every person has the chance of changing his country for the better, but many rarely take it.
Yes. We do feel sorry for the people who are very less fortunate than us and are suffering from war, but then we don't do anything about it. At the end of the day no matter how rich or how poor you are, you're not going to take anytime with you. But it would make a big change if everyone puts in his or her share of goodness and love. Well saying all that, I make a new resolution. This time for real, very much real. I make a promise to myself and only my heart could hear it. I'll do every possible thing to help the people surrounding me if they are in need. Yes, indeed it's a start. I feel better, knowing that there's a love, which has started newly and can t wait to be shared among all beings.
Someone who cares
Should one let their lives be controlled by these theories? In most people's opinion one should have certain doctrines to live by. Their opinion is that one should not be a complete non-believer or an atheist. Presently as our country is embracing western conceptions people have begun to ride away from these superstitions. Some have even given up on the ancient dogma of the stars and horoscopes. Living in a country such as this, these beliefs have become a way of life. But even from the point of view of non-believers one cannot say they are completely and utterly untrue. There is even a fraction of truth in them. So we have to ''look before we leap'' when putting these ideologies hastily aside.
Please send your comments and suggestions on this web site to