Blacklisted company insists it will continue with fuel suppliesView(s):
The company which has been accused of providing substandard diesel has declared that it will continue to honour its obligations under all existing contracts with the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) despite a government order last week that the company be blacklisted.
The claim by the company was contrary to the CPC’s claim last week that Vitol had been blacklisted until a full investigation by a three member committee into the issue of substandard fuel was completed. Vitol spokesman Antonia Lock told the Sunday Times the company expected the CPC also to honour its obligations, like any other reputable corporation.
“The independent expert from the highly reputable company of Minton Treharne and Davies is in Colombo. We have invited the CPC to work with us to establish the root cause of the contamination through an open and transparent investigation and are hopeful of a favourable response,” the spokesperson said.
The developments came amidst fresh reports that the use of substandard fuel was continuing to cause problems to vehicles and engines.The latest incident was reported yesterday when at least three boats which were believed to have used the substandard fuel stalled mid-sea off Pottuvil. The boats were being towed to Matara yesterday.
At least 1,200 private buses are reported to have experienced engine problems with 200 of them needing engine repairs, Private Bus Owners’ Association chief Gemunu Wijeratne claimed.At least 50 state run buses including 11 luxury buses which operated on the southern expressway were also affected due to the use of substandard fuel.
Meanwhile, Petroleum Resources Minister Susil Premajayantha said they were still awaiting the reports from the foreign lab tests and the local tests.He said the Auditor General has been requested to audit all transactions and purchases during the past year including the controversial diesel purchases.
comments powered by Disqus