No clues to museum robbery yet despite Rs.1 m reward
Almost five months on, the National Museum robbery remains an unsolved case, despite a Rs. 1 million reward for information leading to the arrests of suspects, Police Spokesman Ajith Rohana said yesterday.Not even the release of a computer-generated sketch of a suspect has brought any worthwhile responses either, he said.
“To date, we haven’t got any promising responses to the sketch, but I cannot say anything absolutely, as information is being received and we are studying them.“The sketch was made after listening to statements given by five or six museum visitors who had seen the suspect in the morning prior to the robbery.
We have some reliable information that this particular person had visited the museum two or three times,” Superintendent Rohana said. However, he said the police were yet to zero in on the suspect although several teams from the Colombo Crime Division and the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) were carrying on investigations.
The Colombo National Museum was broken into on March 16, resulting in the theft of nine lead coins, 50 silver coins, 93 gold coins, one or more gem-studded gold rings, 18 silver rings, 10 gold plated swords, a gold and silver plated sword and scabbard, two Kandyan era gem-studded walking sticks, a gold-threaded waist belt, and 34 currency notes.
Among those who visited the museum on the day of the robbery were students from three schools. An official from one of the schools told the Sunday Times that a CID official came to interview students last month and showed them the sketch of a suspect.
“However, the CID official did not interview the teachers who accompanied the students,” the school official said.
When asked why it took almost four months for the police to come up with a sketch, SP Rohana said it took time for the police to locate the visitors to the museum on the day of the robbery.
comments powered by Disqus