Who do you see for what

Dr. Ruvini Abeygunaratne Karunaratne

How do you decide which doctor to see for your problem? There are many different specialities within the medical profession, and it is often confusing to determine what each doctor is specialised in and what part of the body they have expertise in.

A good general practitioner should be your first port of call for any medical condition. He or she should be able to explain to whom further referral will be made and for what.

All doctors go to medical school and are qualified to deal with basic medical problems and basic emergencies. Then they go onto receive further training to specialise. This structure depends on the country and medical set-up, but essentially doctors are basically divided into two broad groups - surgeons and physicians.

To put it simply, if there is something in the body that shouldn't be there, and is causing a problem, surgeons cut it out. General surgery is the stem from which all the other surgical specialities follow. That means that all surgeons are trained in the basics of general surgery and tissue handling. Some gain further expertise in general surgery and others go on to sub specialise.

Top to the page  |  E-mail  |  views[1]
Other Mediscene Articles
When your insides burn
Dealing with that uncomfortable ailment that is Sinusitis
Do you have a frozen shoulder?
Wonder of veggies!
When your brain is under attack
The 'whole' truth
Who do you see for what


Reproduction of articles permitted when used without any alterations to contents and a link to the source page.
© Copyright 2008 | Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.Colombo. Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.| Site best viewed in IE ver 6.0 @ 1024 x 768 resolution