The modern town of Kandy, which was really 'Senkadapura,' had its beginning during the time of King Parakramabahu IV. It was called 'Siriwardanapura' at that time. Asgiri hermitage in Kandy also began during this time. It was 1312 A.D., then. It is on the invitation of this king, that the 'Jata kattha kathawa,' was translated into Sinhala as the 'Pansiya Panas Jathaka Potha.' Books like 'Dalada Siritha' and 'Bodhivamsa' were written under this king's
Bank of Ceylon boasting as 'Bankers to the Nation,' has been in existence for 70 years. It was on July 26, 1938 that the first meeting of the Board of Directors was held after the Bank was established under Ordinance No. 53 of 1938. The Bank was ceremonially opened by Governor Sir Andrew Caldecott at 41, Bristol Street, Colombo Fort.