Let’s give a big push to efficient rail transport
The proposed metro for Colombo is a long overdue project that should be activated without delay to ease the problems of commuters and the country as a whole.
However, the far less expensive, easier, and more convenient overhead transport systems such as the German Sky Bus and Japanese Monorail should be considered before going for messy underground projects. On a Build, Operate, Transfer basis such projects are within our reach including the dedicated electricity generation systems that are necessary.
Some advantages of rail transport as opposed to road transport are:
- Reduced atmospheric pollution as one train can displace a large number of road vehicles.
- Saving on import of fuel for the displaced road vehicles.
- Reduced need for expensive land for road widening, saving on acquisition of land, road construction and maintenance.
- Reduced waste of valuable man hours in commuting and reduced cost to commuter.
- No traffic jams.
- Reduced expenditure on State medical services due to respiratory and other problems caused by atmospheric pollution.
To keep the cost down it is necessary for the professionals in this country to keep an eye on what is happening and to keep komis kakkas out!