Badulla Al- Adhan Maha Vidyalaya is situated in the heart of Badulla town within a religious environment to safeguard the educational and cultural values of the Badulla Muslims.
The school, as a Government Tamil Mixed School, was established in 1941 with just 21 students, under Mr. G.S.M Ismail from Udathalawinna as its first headmaster. Mr. Abdul Cader Lebbe, the great Poet from Kathankudy, replaced Mr Ismail in 1943 and served in that capacity for 18 years.
He discharged his duties with great dedication and devotion. Classes up to SSC were started in 1950, with three students sitting the SSC examination. During this period, then minister of education W. Dhahanayake gave approval to change the name of this school to Government Muslim Mixed School. In the meantime, students who passed the SSC examination, were appointed as teachers in the Badulla and Moneragala districts. In 1961, the school was upgraded to a Maha Vidyalaya and a two storied building given in keeping with its status.
Additional resources were given as a mark of respect to its former principal Mr. Abdul Kader Lebbe . The school was renamed Al Adhan Maha Vidyalaya in 1972. with then minister of education Dr. Badurdheen Mohamad in attendance on that occasion.
For the first time in the history of Al-Adhan Maha Vidyalaya, GCE (Adv.Level) classes for Commerce and Arts streams were started in 1977. The following year, the Science stream was started, and due to a dearth of Science graduate teachers, this section closed down soon after. The parents, past pupils and well wishers gave their fullest cooperation to upgrade the facilities of the school. They were a great source of strength to the school.
At present, there are nearly 70 teachers giving their dedicated services to nearly 1,100 students, under the guidance of the present principal Mr. S.H.M.Rafeek. Through the dedication and commitment of principal and staff, gradually they are laying a strong foundation for the uplift of the Muslim society.
This year, five students got through the Grade 5 scholarship examinations.
Of late, the school has shown very good academic results in the GCE (OL) and GCE (AL) examinations. At the GCE (OL) over 55% qualify for the ALs.
In the GCE (AL), the number of university entrants has increased in recent years. A brilliant student Miss A.A.S. Rifaya was ranked first in the Badulla District, in the Arts stream in 2010, and presently she is a student of the Law faculty. This was a great achievement in the history of an up and coming school.
Al-Adan M.V. students shine also in Language day competitions and win Provincial and National medals for the school. Shazna Farwin, a Grade 11 student won first place in the All Island Tamil Day Essay competition.
The school is famous not only within the Province but also Islandwide for its sporting talents in Football, Cricket, Carrom and Athletics. N.P.F. Najath twice went to Iran as vice captain of the Sri Lanka Youth Football Team. The school Under-13 Football team were All Island champions in 2008, and the Under-15 team placed 2nd in 2011. Carrom is the other sport they excelled in when they were crowned Uva Province champions in 2010.
“Enter to learn: go forth to serve” is the vision of the school, which motivates the students to forge ahead and be a source of strength to its community and society at large as well developed citizens.