Bridgetine Walk on June 17
The Bridgetine Walk - 'Walk a Mile, Build a Smile' to be held on June 17 promises to be a spectacular event. The walk will be followed by a mini carnival which will include exciting rides and colourful stalls with the music of Bathiya and Santhush and Sunil and Dadi to liven up the night.
Organised by the School Development Society to raise funds for the refurbishing of the school hall, the walk offers an opportunity to reflect on the history of one of the oldest schools in Sri Lanka.
The quiet picture of all-round excellence that St. Bridget's Convent presents today is the result of hard work spread over a century. The process of building 'gently and firmly' was so important that it became the school motto and conveyed the idea of discipline that the pioneers were trying to inculcate in the students.
The school emblem which symbolizes its goals and ideals has in the middle of a silver-white background a fountain of learning and knowledge with two little birds representing the young. On the right, a dark green leaf of the oak together with acorns bring in the strength and resilience of St. Bridget's together with its steadfastness. The shamrock leaf of Ireland on the left and the green and gold of the Irish flag honours the founders of the school who were from Ireland. The shepherd's crook right below the fountain is a constant reminder to us that it is the Good Shepherd who watches and leads his flock. The two hearts in the centre representing the sacred hearts of Mary and Jesus convey the sense of spirituality on which the school is established.
The school was first housed in a rented building called 'The Firs' and was affiliated to Good Shepherd Convent, Kotahena. The first school day was on February 17, 1902 with only 14 students (including two boys) under the care of Sr. Mary of St. Francis Borgia and Sr. Mary of Our Lady of Lourdes. In 1911, Sr. Mary of St. Francis Borgia took over as Mother Superior and the school had a new identity.
As the number of students steadily increased, in 1912, the school was moved to the spacious 'Henley House', its present home. The old parlour which was part of Henley House is remembered by students as a cool and welcoming place, the point of entrance to a secure and carefree world.
From this point forth, St. Bridget's wholly entered the process of nation building through the moulding of young lives.