register display ends this week
The one month period for the display of the electoral register lists
will not be extended after it ends this week, Deputy Elections Commissioner,
P.M. Siriwardana said.
will be processing the applications for inclusion and deletion of
names from next month. As a result the display of electoral register
lists will be over by the end of this month. We want all those who
have to make a claim or an objection to do so within this month,”
he said. Many people have checked their names and filed claims and
objections. In Colombo City, there were around 6000 claims and less
than 4000 objections. However, Assistant Elections Commissioner
for Colombo City, W.W.M Deshapriya said this was not a big increase.
just a ten percent increase compared to last year. I expect less
than 10,000 claims in Colombo City by the end of the month,”
he said. Assistant Elections Commissioner for Gampaha District M.M
Mohamed said so far 1,300 claims and three objections have been
to last year, there were many claims this year and we expect the
number will increase during the last two week of the display of
electoral registers,” he said.
Elections Commissioner for Kalutara District said only 525 claims
were received in the past two weeks, though people are coming to
peruse the electoral lists. Though the electoral register lists
were supposed to be displayed at post offices, The Sunday Times
learns that some post offices did not get the electoral lists this
Galle District, 1,270 claims were received and more are expected
“Not only those whose names were not in the list, but even
those whose names were there checked the electoral register lists.
I think the number of claims and objections will increase,”
Assistant Elections Commissioner for Galle District, M.K.B Harischandra