Wijesekara’s statement recorded
Police have recorded a statement from Minister Mahinda Wijesekara
over a complaint made by former Lake House Chairman and journalist
Lucien Rajakarunanayake, over an alleged death threat by the minister,
SSP D.P.L. Dissanayake told The Sunday Times.
He said that
a police officer had been sent to the residence of the minister
and the statement of the minister recorded. The minister had denied
the allegations made by Mr. Rajakarunanayake.
had lodged the complaint at Colombo Police Headquarters against
the Minister on June 1 stating the minister had threatened him with
death on May 30 at the Chinese Restaurant in the Hilton Hotel.
At the restaurant
Minister Wijesekara is alleged to have told Mr. Rajakarunanayake
that he would finish him off during the tenure of the UNF Government
because he had referred to him (the minister) in one of his articles
written two years ago as "Kaluwara Mahinda".
alleged threat Mr. Rajakarunanayake had also brought this issue
to the immediate notice of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe as
a protective measure. However Minister Mahinda Wijesekara last week
denied the allegation of a threat levelled against Mr. Rajakarunanayake
saying that it 'is completely a false story' but did not elaborate
on the issue.
Question over councillors
By Nalaka Nonis
The Elections Department is awaiting a response from the Attorney
General over the legality of the position of 33 provincial council
members who were appointed from outside the nomination list.
M. C. Arunthavachelvam told The Sunday Times they had sought the
AG's advice after the Supreme Court gave an order that in the event
of a vacancy arising in the Provincial Council, the power of the
secretary of such a political party to nominate an alternative member
is confined to candidates whose nominations appeared in the original
nomination list and who secured some preferences at the election.
denies witch-hunt on Lankan illegal immigrants
The Japanese embassy in Colombo discounted theories that a special
witch-hunt was on for Sri Lankans overstaying their visas in that
country after an unruly incident at a Buddhist temple when Prime
Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe attended a ceremony last Sunday.
Secretary Matsuo Hideaki told The Sunday Times that the Japanese
government had always kept a close tab on illegal immigrants. "This
is a routine job, we cannot confirm that they (Japanese police)
have stepped up operations after the Lankaji temple incident",
said police investigations into the incident where Prime Minister
Wickremesinghe was heckled and the chief monk Ven. Banagala Upatissa
was almost manhandled by a group of Sri Lankans living in Japan
The Sri Lankans
had started shouting at the Prime Minister questioning him about
the peace process with the LTTE, while shouting abuse at the monk
for being a "stooge" and going to meet LTTE chief negotiator
Anton Balasingham in his hotel during the Hakone round of peace
in Colombo accused the hecklers of being JVP members and said that
the Japanese government had begun a process of arresting "thousands"
of Sri Lankans living illegally in Japan and deporting them.
The JVP has
denied that the hecklers are JVP members and said these people had
only wanted to ask questions from the visiting Prime Minister about
the peace process after a brief speech Mr. Wickremesinghe made about
A similar incident
had occurred when the same monk had arranged a visit to the temple
by Minister Milinda Moragoda few months back. Mr. Moragoda had been
unable to answer some hostile questions. The incident was, however,
An LTTE cadre who was arrested by the Sri Lanka Navy in May for
allegedly possessing weapons when going in a boat was released on
surety bail of Rs. 25,000 by Trincomalee Magistrate S.Thiagalingam
last week. The suspect was ordered to appear on July 7.
In another case
two LTTE cadres who were arrested by the Sri Lanka Army in the Tampalakam-Palampoddar
area in Trincomalee district for allegedly possessing weapons were
also released on surety bail of Rs 25,000.