Ottawa (AFP) - Canada will accept only whole families, lone women or children in its mass resettlement of Syrian refugees while unaccompanied men -- considered a security risk -- will be turned away, it emerged Monday.
Since the Paris attacks launched by Syria-linked jihadists, a plan by new leader Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to fast-track the intake of 25,000 refugees by year's end has faced growing criticism in Canada.
Details of the plan will be announced Tuesday but Canada's ambassador to Jordan confirmed that refugees from camps in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey will be flown to Canada from Jordan starting December 1.
Speaking in Jordan on Monday, the ambassador Bruno Saccomani said the operation would cost an estimated Can$1.2 billion, the official Petra news agency reported.
According to Canadian public broadcaster CBC, the resettlement plan will not extend to unaccompanied men.
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard seemed to corroborate that report ahead of a meeting with Trudeau and Canada's provincial leaders where the refugee plan was high on the agenda.
"All these refugees are vulnerable but some are more vulnerable than others, for example, women, families and also members of religious minorities who are oppressed," he said, although he rejected the notion of "exclusion" of single men.
- 'It's a compromise' -
Faisal Alazem of the Syrian Canadian Council, a non-profit group in talks with the government to sponsor refugees, told Radio-Canada of the plans: "It's a compromise."
"This is not the ideal scenario to protect vulnerable people -- women and children and men too. But I think what happened in Paris has really changed the dynamic and public opinion," he said.
Children sit in a classroom at the UN-run Zaatari camp for Syrian refugees, north east of the Jordan …
Trudeau broadly outlined his intention to take in the Syrian refugees during the campaign that swept his Liberals into office last month, and has mobilized several government ministries to get the job done since being sworn in three weeks ago.
But the Paris attacks that killed 130, claimed by the Islamic States group, stirred fears in both Europe and North America that jihadists could seek to blend in with refugee masses in order to strike later.
A recent poll suggests that 54 percent of Canadians now oppose the accelerated timeline.
Trudeau's government has sought to reassure the White House over its plans, as President Barack Obama faces a barrage of opposition to his own scheme to resettle 10,000 refugees in the coming year.
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said he spoke to US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson over the weekend and assured him that "safety and security... remain our highest priority."
"Canada is integrating security throughout the (resettlement) process, and is committed to making sure everything related to security is done without compromise," he said.
The minister said he also provided to Johnson "assurances that our timeline will not affect Canada's ability to appropriately select and screen refugees."
Opposition New Democratic Party leader Thomas Mulcair, however, warned against casting too large a safety net.
"Will a young man, who lost both parents, be excluded from the refugee program?" he said. "Will a gay man who is escaping persecution be excluded? Will a widower who is fleeing Daesh after having seen his family killed be excluded?" he said, using an Arabic acronym for IS.
- 900 refugees daily -
Leaks to Canadian media have pointed to a massive endeavor to fly in 900 Syrian refugees daily to Montreal and Toronto.
Health Minister Jane Philpott said the leaked information was "outdated" but declined to correct the record.
According to CBC, Canadian officials have screened more than 4,000 asylum seekers in the past six weeks, on top of the UN refugee agency's registration process. At this pace, Ottawa would fall far short of its resettlement goal.
Once in Canada, the refugees would reportedly be housed at two military bases in Ontario and Quebec, until more suitable accommodations are found.
Canadian colleges also announced 200 scholarships to help Syrian asylum seekers sharpen their skills and find work in Canada.
"It is important that we as a society collectively help them to rebuild their lives," said National Association of Career Colleges chief executive Serge Buy.
The United Nations refugee agency estimates that more than four million Syrians have fled the civil war that has ravaged their country and killed more than 250,000 people.
A general view shows the UN-run Zaatari camp for Syrian refugees, north east of the Jordanian capital Amman, on September 19, 2015 (AFP Photo/Khalil Mazraawi)
A suspect who had solicited a bribe by falsely promising to secure the release of three suspects arrested on terrorism charges, has been apprehende...
19 September 2019 - Views : 10
19 September 2019
19 September 2019
19 September 2019
Sri Lankan born Sabrina Ghouse in her newly released, thought-provoking book ‘Built to be CEO, A Woman’s ...
The first day of the semi-finals of the girls' schools at the 46th Inter-School Shakespeare Drama Competitio...
The Swami Vivekananda Cultural Centre (SVCC), High Commission of India, Colombo, will be Organizing an evening of Bha...
Sri Lankan entrepreneur, Otara Gunewardene was invited by the Rwandan Government as an honorary guest to name a ...