News

Over Rs 52 billion spent on emergency power purchases since 2016

9 October 2019 - 137   - 2

The Government had to spend Rs. 52.23 billion on emergency power purchases since 2016 due to delays in completing scheduled power plants, the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) was told on Tuesday (8).


By Sandun Jayawardana 

The Government had to spend Rs. 52.23 billion on emergency power purchases since 2016 due to delays in completing scheduled power plants, the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) was told on Tuesday (8). The revelation came when top officials of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) came before COPE.

COPE Chairman JVP MP Sunil Handunnetti noted that the Government had spent Rs. 8568 million on emergency power purchases in 2016, Rs. 19, 405 million in 2017 and Rs. 11, 581 million in 2018. So far in 2019, emergency power purchases amounting to Rs. 12, 674 million had already been made by the month of July, it was further disclosed. Accordingly, COPE observed that the State had spent Rs. 52, 230 million, or Rs. 52.23 billion on emergency power since 2016 up until now. All these purchases were from outside the CEB's approved long term power generation plan. 

CEB General Manager S.D.W. Gunawardana stated that the purchasing of emergency power had come about due to delays in completing long term power generation projects included in the utility's power generation plan. CEB officials claimed that the dispute between the CEB and the Public Utilities Commission of Si Lanka, (PUCSL); the power sector regulator, had contributed to projects being delayed. It was also noted that some of the power plants were being held up due to cases being filed in court.

Officials told COPE that work on adding 575 MW of electricity to the national grid should have commenced from 2017 onwards and completed by 2020, but this had not happened. 

The CEB’s purchase of 50 diesel generators of 1MW each at a cost of Rs. 3 billion also came in for scrutiny by COPE. It was noted that the generators had functioned for just over 39, 000 hours from January to July this year but had been non-operational owing to breakdowns for 73, 398 hours during the same time period. CEB officials blamed the matter on the difficulty of transporting diesel to the generators but insisted all generators are fully functional now.  

  Comments - 2

  • Consumer Wednesday, 9 October 2019 07:26 AM

    Corruption from top to bottom.The final victims are the tax payers.The so called Leaders of the country are silent!

    Reply : 1       0

    Dr Ivan Amarasinghe Wednesday, 9 October 2019 08:25 PM

    Unbelievable in this day and age!

    Reply : 0       0

    Leave a comment



Top Stories

Japan grants USD 1.2 million for demining activities in the North

The Japanese government has provided a grant of USD 1.2 million (Rs 219 million) for demining activities in the Northern Province. The Japa...

18 October 2019 - Views : 7

AG's Dept. tells Court, decision to bring SLRC under President through gazette was constitutional

18 October 2019

President appoints M.R.C. Fernando as Appeal Court judge

18 October 2019

Hemasiri fails to appear before PCoI citing health reasons; testimony on Oct 21

18 October 2019

Features & Analysis

Special screening programme for breast cancer at Early Detection Centre in Narahenpita

October is designated as ‘Breast Cancer Awareness Month’, worldwide. Cancer ranks amongst the leading thr...

The Wolf is back! ‘Big Bad Wolf Book Sale’ to get underway from tomorrow

The wolf is here with books for us to devour! The highly anticipated ‘Big Bad Wolf Sale’ which is open to...

Toyota's latest Rav4, Corolla and HIACE hit the streets

Toyota Lanka (Pvt) Ltd, the sole authorized dealer for Toyota vehicles and spare parts in Sri Lanka recently launched...

English Lit Societies of Ladies and STC present LitCon

The English Literary Societies of Ladies' College and S.Thomas' College Mt.Lavinia proudly present LitCon ...