World

Qatar says Gulf crisis has no impact on World Cup preparations

16 June 2017 - 49   - 0

(REUTERS) Qatar said on Thursday a rift with fellow Gulf Arab states that includes economic sanctions on Doha has not affected its preparations to host the 2022 World Cup, and alternative sources for construction materials had been secured.

Soccer's governing body FIFA said last week it was in "regular contact" with the 2022 World Cup organising committee of Qatar, after Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, along with Egypt, severed ties with Doha over alleged ties to terrorism - charges the Gulf state denies.

The 2022 World Cup is the centrepiece of a carefully crafted strategy to project Qatar onto the global stage via sport. The dispute could impact its preparations.

In the run-up to the tournament, Qatar is scheduled to host multiple events across many different sports, aimed at improving infrastructure and expertise.

"I can confirm to everybody that there is absolutely no impact on the progress of work in the Mondial facilities and that work is proceeding normally," said Ghanim al-Kuwari, executive director at the Qatari committee overseeing preparations for the World Cup.

In remarks carried by state news agency QNA, Kuwari said Qatar's local World Cup organising committee had completed around 45 percent of the work in accordance with plans.

Most of the construction materials needed for building World Cup stadiums had been coming by land through Saudi Arabia, a route now blocked, but Kuwari said alternative suppliers have been organised.

"We have actually organised alternative sources from other areas in order that the work on the project is not impacted."

  Comments - 0

  • Leave a comment

Top Stories

SLT workers vow to picket demanding annual bonus    

Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) workers will launch an agitation campaign from Monday if the top management fails to fullfill their demands by tomorr...

14 December 2017 - Views : 104

Six new Ministry Secretaries appointed

14 December 2017

Updated: SLT CEO quitting in three months  

14 December 2017

UN advises Australia to not deport Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seeker

14 December 2017



style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6200193111498313"
data-ad-slot="1999573490">

 

Features & Analysis

In pictures: Women Of The World Festival

The Southbank Centre’s WOW (Women of the World) Festival, Colombo was held recently in partner...

Christmas services at Christ the Living Saviour

The Christmas services at the Anglican Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour will be as follows: Christmas Eve Ser...

Mr.England title winner Jack Eyers visits the Adidas flagship store

Holder of the 2017/2018 Mr.England title, Jack Eyers recently visited the Adidas flagship store at the Racecours...

In pictures : ‘Designer Wedding Show 2017’

The ‘Designer Wedding Show 2017’, a much-looked-forward to event was presented by the Bride and Groom Mag...



style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6200193111498313"
data-ad-slot="1999573490">