World

Evacuations of besieged Syrians resume after two-day halt

21 April 2017 - 6   - 0

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The evacuation of Syrian civilians and fighters from four besieged towns, part of a swap deal between the warring sides, resumed on Friday after a 48-hour halt, state media and a war monitoring group said.

More than 35 busloads of civilians and pro-government fighters from the towns of al-Foua and Kefraya in Idlib province arrived in Aleppo city, which is under government control, the war monitor said.

Thousands of evacuees from the two rebel-besieged Shi'ite towns had been stuck at a staging area outside Aleppo, where a bomb attack on an evacuation convoy killed scores of people last week.

In exchange, ten buses carrying rebels and their relatives from Zabadani left a second nearby transit point to cross into rebel territory, state-owned Ikhbariyah channel said.

The towns of Zabadani and Madaya, which had long been under siege by pro-government forces near Damascus, came under state rule this week after Sunni rebels and civilians were evacuated.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the 48-hour suspension was due to rebel demands for the government to free 750 prisoners as part of the agreement.

The Britain-based war monitor said it remained unclear if authorities had released any prisoners as the reciprocal evacuations resumed in the morning.

On Saturday, a bomb blast hit a convoy carrying evacuees from al-Foua and Kefraya killing at least 126 people, including more than 60 children, who were waiting on Aleppo's outskirts.

Thousands of Syrians have been evacuated mostly out of besieged rebel areas in recent months, under deals between President Bashar al-Assad's government and rebel groups fighting for six years to unseat him.

  Comments - 0

  • Leave a comment

 

Top Stories

SriLankan Airlines announces changes in flight timings owing to closure of Indian airspace

Due to an experimental flight launched by India and closure of the Indian airspace on  April 27  the arrival and departure timings of a f...

26 April 2017 - Views : 64

Govt goes ahead joint venture of Trinco oil tanks with India; Rajitha

26 April 2017

Sri Lanka’s former CJ Sripavan on ComBank board

26 April 2017

No danger of explosion at Meethotamulla - Champika

26 April 2017



style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6200193111498313"
data-ad-slot="1999573490">

 

Features & Analysis

Man Booker International Prize shortlist announced

Six books were shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize on last week the New York Times reported....

Colourful exhibits with ‘Pursuit of Love’ and ‘Cellscapes II’

After a quiet week with Colombo enjoying the Avurudu festivities, the city’s events calendar is livening up. ...

‘Pulse of the Heartians’ this weekend

BnS, Billy Fernando and 2Forty2, Hector Dias, Umaria and Voice.Print are the stars who will perform together at &ldqu...

Young student wins under 15 Scrabble title at ASTAR Scrabble Challenge

Janul de Silva of Royal College became the Under 15 Champion at the ASTAR Scrabble Challenge International (ASCI...



style="display:inline-block;width:300px;height:250px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6200193111498313"
data-ad-slot="1999573490">