One hundred years ago, Jenny Calverley assembled the First Company of Girl Guides in the then Ceylon at Girls’ High School (GHS), Kandy.  This week, to mark the centenary of Girl Guiding in Sri Lanka, a monument to Miss Calverley was unveiled at the school by Nicola Grinstead, Chair of the World Board of the [...]

Sunday Times 2

100 years old and Girl Guiding still going strong at GHS

View(s):

Nicola Grinstead, Chair of the World Board of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, unveils the monument to Miss Calverley

One hundred years ago, Jenny Calverley assembled the First Company of Girl Guides in the then Ceylon at Girls’ High School (GHS), Kandy.  This week, to mark the centenary of Girl Guiding in Sri Lanka, a monument to Miss Calverley was unveiled at the school by Nicola Grinstead, Chair of the World Board of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, in a true case of coming full circle. From the maiden company of 40 Girl Guides, the Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association now comprises over 54,000 members, and it all began here in Kandy.

Over a thousand Butterflies, Little Friends, Girl Guides and Senior Guides now set out to do their best, do their duty and live by Guide law from Girls’ High School. Girl Guiding is an integral part of daily school life, and Guides provide valuable assistance to school functions such as the 138th anniversary celebrations. Camps, charity projects, hikes and other activities occur throughout the year, notably the distribution of a festive lunch and other contributions to the cancer ward at the Kandy General Hospital, taking place annually on March 23, as well as volunteer projects at the Blue Rose Special School for children with special needs. Particular emphasis is placed on the involvement of the Girls’ High School Guides in elders’ homes.

Additionally, plans are underway to organise a special centenary event, the Jenny Calverley Memorial Hike. Girls’ High School Principal, Mrs. Malkanthi Abeygunasekara, considers it of the utmost importance that the Guides receive the school’s fullest support in all such ventures, and such dedication to the movement has paid off – over the years a number of High School students have received the prestigious President’s Guide award.

The Guides of Girls’ High School are truly sisters to every other guide – as well as participating in events organised at the National Headquarters in Colombo, multicultural exchange programmes, and the annual Inter-School Friendship Day, the school also possesses the only “Baladakshika Niwahana” in Kandy, a hall devoted entirely to Girl Guiding where Guides from all over the Central Province participate in activities and various badge-earning tests.

An alumnus of the school and former member of the Guides stresses the importance of the Girl Guiding movement, not only at Girls’ High School but throughout Sri Lanka, in terms of helping girls explore their untapped potential and develop skills which last a lifetime. “What I learnt as a Girl Guide and a Ranger in the 1st Kandy Unit has helped me in numerous ways to handle a number of varying tasks and act in emergencies.  Our motto, “Be Prepared”, is something that I always abide by. As you go up the career ladder you are called upon to handle situations that are not on the agenda, and as a leader, you are expected to offer solutions to your subordinates.  Finally, as wives and mums, we need to manage the home front too. The overall training I received as a Girl Guide in finding a solution to any challenge is what made me what I am today,” she added.

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS

Advertising Rates

Please contact the advertising office on 011 - 2479521 for the advertising rates.