The Management Club (TMC) together with International Quizzing Association (IQA)Sri Lanka branch , commences its 2012 Quiz calendar by hosting the Sri Lankan leg of the International solo Quiz Championship organised for the first time by the Karnataka Quiz Association(KQA), based in Bangalore, India.
The Management Club (TMC) will once again be administering this Quiz jointly with IQA Sri Lanka.
According to Ruwan Senanayake, Sri Lanka’s Representative of the International Quizzing Association (IQA), this being the first international Quiz organised by the KQA, Sri Lanka too has been invited to join in along with U.K, and USA. The format of the Quiz is more or less similar to the World Quizzing Championship held in June every year.
The Quiz , which will be held on 08th January commencing 10 a.m, will see some of the best quizzers in the world attempting to answer 200 questions in writing over two sessions of an hour’s duration each.
Each participant will be given an international Quiz Ranking, based on the overall performance.
The Quiz will consist of 10 sections of 20 questions each and will cover the following areas:
- The Arts: Painting, Sculpture, Photography, Design, Architecture, Installation Art, Dance, Theatre (20)
- Science and Tech: Concepts in the Sciences, History and Philosophy of Science, History of Technology, The Environment, Astronomy, Medicine, Inter-disciplinary work, Popular Science Writing (20)
- Literature: Poetry, Literary Fiction, Non-Fiction, Drama, Genre Fiction, Graphic Novels, Critics, Literary History, Translation (20)
- Social Sciences: History, Anthropology, Cultural Studies/Social History, History of Ideas, Economics, The Philosophers (20)
- Business: Brands, Fashion, Business History, Advertising (20)
- Sports and Leisure: Sporting History, Games, Television, Gaming, Sports-Writing, Sports-Coverage, Hobbies--Collecting, Gardening, Fan-communities, The Internet (20)
- Cinema: Hollywood, National Cinemas, World Cinema, Film Genres, Film-Technology, Film-language, Cinema & Society. Film-writing (20)
- Music: Instruments, Performers, Genre Music, World Music, Tech Innovations, Music-magazines, Music industry, Music-journalism (20)
- Food & Drink: From all over the world. (20)
10. Connections: (20) Connections will feature more or less the same sort of questions as in the other questions. The only difference will be that the person sitting will have to do some ingenious guessing or working out to figure out the answer. For instance, “What near-sphere could possibly connect William Tell, Isaac Newton, New York, The Beatles and the death of Alan Turing?”, to which the answer is “Apple’.
Sri Lankan quizzers who wish to take part in this Quiz could forward their applications to Ruwan Senanayake by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or to The Management Club Galle Face Hotel either by post or email to email@example.com
Further details could be obtained by contacting Ruwan on firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Varuna on 0777418191.
Registrations will be accepted on a first come first served basis, as the number of participants at this quiz has to be limited to 25 due to logistical constraints.