At least 40 persons have been questioned as Navy investigations deepen into the mysterious disappearance of four ratings off the Mullaitivu coast at the tail end of last month, a senior official said yesterday.
He said most of those interviewed were fellow naval personnel and others who had been in touch with the missing group shortly before they went out of contact before dusk on March 29.
The four sailors were on routine patrol between detachments in the area, north-east off the Mullaitivu coast, when they failed to return to base, prompting a major search by both the Navy and Air Force, while the Indian Coastguard was also alerted, he added.
The quartet was sailing in an unmarked dingy and clad in civvies at the time of their disappearance, the official said. “We are looking at several aspects, including rumours that have been doing the rounds since the four went missing. Some say that they would have made pre-arrangements and boarded a foreign vessel heading for a European port.