ISSN: 1391 - 0531
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Vol. 42 - No 02

CH and FC prevail over Army

By Harry Jayachandra

Army did not have their kicking boots on and certainly had butter all over their fingers. CH & FC easily defeated them by 32 points (2 goals, 3 tries and 1 penalty) to five (1 try) in their Caltex Segment ‘A’ Division One league match played at Havelock Park yesterday.

Both teams wasted numerous scoring opportunities in the first half. But CH managed to get their act together somewhat in the second, while their opponents seemed to have their hands up in surrender. Each time there was a turn over Army seemed to find a way to give the ball back by knocking on.

In just the third minute of the game CH were awarded a penalty just about 20 metres out. They opted to go for a push over try and failed. Four minutes later Army fullback Kapila Knowlton wasted a golden opportunity to put his team ahead by kicking a simple penalty wide of the posts. Unfortunately for the force’s team it was the first of many by the normally accurate place kicker.

Nineteen minutes had to pass before the first points were scored. The visitors worked their line and wing three quarter Lakela Perera touched down. Stand off Sajith Bandara added the extra points and two minutes later extended CH & FC’s lead to ten points with a well taken penalty conversion. With half time approaching Army finally managed to hold on to the final pass as Don Wickremaratne went over for an unconverted try.

At Lemons CH led by ten points to five

After the breather CH came alive. Army also tried to fight back but as was the case in the first half they some how managed to drop the final pass. The CH backline on the other hand worked as a cohesive unit and breached the Army defense on no less than four occasions. Full back Mathesha Silva started the scoring after forming the overlap. The rather infamous centre Jimmy Bolokoro took a couple Army defenders with him as he went over the right corner flag. Fellow centre Dinuka Wijeratne added a brace and Bandara put the plum on top of the pudding by converting two of the tries.

Referee – D. Nimal.

Top to the page

Copyright 2007 Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.Colombo. Sri Lanka.