Lanka-New Zealand test loses day to rain
KANDY, The first day's play in the second Rankatha Test between Sri Lanka and New Zealand at the Asgiriya Stadium was abandoned one hour before the scheduled start of play yesterday.

Some parts of the outfield were wet and muddy and in the opinion of the Umpires - Darrel Harper and Simon Taufel - play was next to impossible. Ironically, the sun was really blazing down in the morning and had the outfield been in good condition, spectators would have been assured of a few hours of play, at least.

With the match reduced to a four day affair and with the prospect of delays and interruptions on the next four days, the chances of a decision are somewhat remote. However, the pitch is different from theone at the P. Sara Stadium as it is more spin oriented. The toss will have an important bearing on the outcome if the Sri Lankans bat first and the Kiwis are destined to bat on an increasingly wearing pitch, the struggle will really beon.

Interestingly, the Sri Lankans could make one change, leaving out paceman Nissanka in order to include the exrtra spinner - Upul Chandana. New Zealand, which dominated the drawn first test in Colombo, had been looking for their first series win in Sri Lanka in 20 years in the hill town of Kandy.

Match umpire D.J. Harper said the wicket was playable but the outfield was not after days of intermittent rain. "We are dealing with international cricket here and we couldn't even contemplate playing club cricket on this," he said.

The outfield was likely to dry out during the day, but forecasts of rain again during the evening meant play may be cancelled again or delayed as well on day two. New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming dominated the first test with a test-best 274 not out in the first innings followed by 69 not out in the second innings. After the second test, the two sides will be joined by Pakistan for a one-day triangular series. - Aubrey Kuruppu

CR outclass Kandy Youth
Last year's Premier League 'A' runners-up and President's Trophy champions CR&FC led by granite hard Shamly Nawaz outplayed and outclassed Kandy Youth by 86 points (7 goals, 1 penalty goal, 6 tries) to 6 (2 penalties) in their opening league game at Longden Place yesterday. At the turn-around the Red Shirts led 43-3.

It was lambs to the slaughter when the CR went on a try-spree when the entire back division ran the ball to score 13 tries against a hapless KYCC defence. Zulficar Halimdeen (4), Nishantha Kumara (2), Haren Kaluarachchi (1), Mustaq (1), Asanga Rodrigo (2), C. Kodagoda (1), Sumeda Jayasinghe (2) scored. For KYCC Niyandala put over two penalties.Referee Rohan Nishantha. Navy host CH today
The Sri Lanka Navy host CH&FC in a Premier 'A' league match at Welisara today. Kick-off at 5 p.m.

The match should be keenly contested. The sailors with a rock hard set of forwards should give CH a close run before their supporters.

CH led by scrum-half Milinda Jayasinghe will pair off with Nalin Dissanayake.
They have a penetrative back division. The Crescent Club has the edge with their better rugby skills. But the Navy 'eight' could give them a hard time with their bone-jarring tackling. (B.W)

Police overcome spirited Air Force
By Shamseer Jaleel
Police Sports Club coached by Asst. Superintendent of Police, Marso overcame the spirited Air Force by 36 goals (3 goals, 3 tries) to 26 (3 goals, 1 try) after leading 24-7 at half time.

Air Force got their act together only late in the first half. They crossed the Police line four times in the match. Though the Police forwards played a better game than their opponents, they looked unfit late in the second half. In the line-outs Wilson of Police out-jumped his opponents. For olice SC the tries were scored by Muthumala, Hewawasam, Nilusha Fernando, Nishantha Welagedera, Thushara Champika and Shantha Rohana. Harshana Wijeweera converted three of the six conversions.

For Air Force Rohan Fernando, Ajith Herath and Suranga Arunshantha (2) scored the tries and Ranjith Anthony goaled three of them. One player each from both sides were shown the Yellow Card for rough play. Arun Jayasekera controlled the game.

Back to Top  Back to Sports  

Copyright © 2001 Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. All rights reserved.